Thursday, March 10, 2005

Cornbread and Buttermilk

At birth people begin to tell your parents whose eyes you have, whose nose you have, whose ears you have and so forth. Only as you grow, and look inside at the person you’ve become do you realize whose heart, whose voice,
whose spirit helps make up who you’ve become. From my Daddy, I developed an inquisitive nature and appreciation of the unknown. From my mother I learned caution and about the importance of putting your family first. From my Grandma Ruby, I learned a little about patience, and a lot about generosity. But perhaps my Grandpa passed on the most interesting spark- a little something most anyone who knows me could testify to, he taught me to speak my mind. Sometimes we even bumped heads because of it, but because he lived and especially because he lived next door I spent hundreds of afternoons with him shooting marbles, throwing horseshoes, and playing cards. Some of his personality was bound to rub off and it did. Because my Grandpa was never afraid to say what was on his mind, I have
always had the courage to share my thoughts aloud and often. Like the song said there may be "things that I’ve forgotten that I loved about the man," but I will always carry a little piece of his spirit with me because it is part of who I am. I don’t know what tomorrow holds, but I know in those precious formative years of childhood I didn’t have the biggest house, I wasn’t fed with a silver spoon, but what I did have was the opportunity of a lifetime. I had the chance to grow and be nurtured by not only both parents but two incredible grandparents as well. What more could you ask for than to grow up right next door to your grandparents? How many children are that lucky?
My Grandpa died Wednesday, March 9, 2005. He will be buried today which happens to be my late Grandma Ruby’s birthday. He was born on Christmas Day in 1912. He was 92. He lived a remarkable life and is survived by 5 children and too many grandchildren and great grandchildren to count. I love him very much and I will miss him.
It’s still hard to believe he is gone.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

vickie says, "i am sorry it took so long to read your blog. it was really good."

March 15, 2005 at 7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home